Tuesday 7 June 2011

Awake Your Soul.

Folklore:

The traditional beliefs, customs, and stories of a community, passed through the generations by word of mouth


I like to believe that when it comes down to family, I have pretty strong morals and ground rules, putting relatives first; and as a family we like to obey to certain traditions that due to the ever changing fast pace of society, are becoming dated and forgotten – such as eating round the dinner table, all together and discussing each others days. Some may call this old fashioned, but I wouldn’t change it for the world (especially now with being away at uni – I would literally do ANYTHING for a good meal) therefore, this piece highlighting the importance of tradition to “folk people” was of particular interest.

When looking at the latest edition of Vogue for July 2011, I immediately fell in love with this article surrounding the topic of folklore. The images in the shoot were really inspirational and proved full of endless styling ideas that I can hopefully channel in to a project within my fashion course next year.

I particularly LOVE the use of colours, textures and patterns within the images, adding a clear element of contrast and outrageous clashing, to give this wonderful sense of “homemade” clothing, adding to the idea of family and tradition. The main concept behind the folk mentality is an idea of a joined community, and vogue really managed to capture this magic.


With SUCH a distinct look, its no wonder that the catwalk are going crazy for this trend, a stunning example of this and in my eyes perfect (McQueen can do no wrong) is the Spring/Summer 2011 collection designed by Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen. Things go back to basics and I love how prints of wheat and exquisite woven straw are combined to embrace this idea of “folk” life. Even the models hair is woven!
Similarly the shops are mirroring this craze on the high street and admittedly it is a pretty daring trend to pull off; so I myself am going to interpret the style in my own way, through floral maxi dresses and fringed waistcoats, just like this BEAUTIFUL tasselled number from New Look, coming in at only £19.99

Think Robin Hood, meets gypsy girl, meets village peasants, blast out your mumford and sons album and you will be rocking "folklore" in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment